21st century feminism


Monday 15 February 2010

Toad makes a road



I find it increasingly frustrating that the tractor/digger/dumper books I read my son rarely depict girls or women driving. I don’t want him to grow up thinking that only boys and men can drive large machinery, but that’s the impression he’s getting.

And so, last week, with a poorly boy and a promise of a new book he’s been after, I ordered Toad Makes a Road. I thought I was getting more of the same Toad-come-action hero/digger driver/workman lit. You can imagine my surprise when it landed on our doorstep and Toad is a seemingly single, independent, strong-minded female! She needs a road to her house building and gets on with the job, complete with all the appropriate heavy machinery. It’s even got a doubtful goat who watches from the sidelines, stating “But toads can’t make roads…” Brilliant. 

No comments:

Post a Comment